luca

luca

14 November, 2007

Gotta Love Karen


Look what Karen got me...a nesting Elvis!! Isn't she the best mom around? One of my favorite road trips was the one MJ, Jen, Karen and I took about 15 years ago to Graceland. We drove down in MJ's mocha colored Lincoln Continental with black leather interior. It was after Christmas so we all wore our festive black leather coats and boots. We fit right in down south, well so we thought.


We reached the mecca we call Graceland wide eyed and bushy tailed very excited to see Elvis. It was all we hoped for and more. What class, what style...huh? Well, you know, maybe not so much.


We also stopped by Sun Records for a tour. Only in America can you go to Memphis for a tour at an iconic record studio and attend a tour given by a Polish immigrant. He did a fabulous job once you got past his accent. The stories of all the greats that recorded there, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis. The best part would be after he would play one of the recordings that were made in the studio. The Polish tour guide would give an explanation and finish it off with a very dramatic "that was recorded right here-long pause- in this room". Now for those of you that haven't been to Sun Records let me fill you in on a little secret. It's only one room! Where else would they record it? In the closet? Gotta love America!


Then we were off to Nashville and the Grand Ole Opry. We met up with David and Jeannine at the Grand Ole Opry hotel which is slightly smaller than Rhode Island for New Year's Eve. JK left us though to go on tour with the Mavericks and Trisha Yearwood for a New Years show in Michigan or somewhere. Boring! We had plenty of fun with out her though. One morning Jeannine dared me to eat 6 donuts at one of the buffets. I accepted the challenge and was well on my way to victory when Karen put a stop to it. This is when she chose to "parent", when I'm eating donuts and on the verge of breaking a record? Don't mind the 12 beers I probably had the night before but don't eat those donuts! What are you crazy?


All in all I it was one of my favorite road trips with the family. Thanks Karen for not leaving me home for this one! Like she had a choice...




1 comment:

Cristina said...

Hey Grrrl, Glad to see you had a good Thanksgiving! Nice pics and family stories... Hey, how can I reach you - I'm coming to NYC in a few weeks - we gotsa get together --- and I also want to bring my boss to the Prince to spend some of her hard earned cash on kitchen toys...

Hope you've gotten off the couch since Thanksgiving! (I'm planning on moving tomorrow - 3 day food coma)...