luca

luca

14 August, 2007

THE SCOOTER



Today we lost not only a great ball player but a great man. Phil Rizzuto had a sense of humor like my grand father and that's why I loved him so. He reminded me of Boppy, but on a much smaller scale.

As most of you know I was raised a Yankee fan and still remain one to this day. Not because they are just my local team but because there is a strong family history with them.

I remember my grand mother telling the story of her first game at Yankee stadium. Her uncle, who worked as a delivery man delivering ice, became friendly with a young Columbia University baseball player. Once that young player made it to the big leagues he would give her uncle tickets to Yankee games. That players name was Lou Gehrig.

Nonna and Boppy use to argue over Yankee players and stats, who was a bum and who wasn't and who saw Babe Ruth hit a home run first at the stadium. Now my grand father was raised in Brooklyn so being a Yankee fan at that time was pretty dangerous but if he wanted to win Nonna's heart he had to give his heart to the Yankees first.
Later Boppy would go on to become a Police officer and was assigned to Yankee Stadium. He and his men would guard the players of the late 50's and early 60's in the days of Maris and Mantle.

In the 1970's Thomas and Lynn would take us kids to Yankee games all the time. I grew up in those upper tier reserve seats mainly because Thomas was too cheap to spring for better ones, haha! I was always scared I would take a tumble down those steep stairs. Everyone around us would be drinking beer and yelling and there was always this strange smell in the air. Until this day when I smell someone smoking pot on the streets I always think of the stadium in the 70's. Ahh...Don't ya love New York? Maybe that's why I ate so many REG-GIE bars back then?
I was lucky enough to meet Phil out side of Yankee stadium after a game once. I asked him to sign my yearbook "To Nonna" which he replied " I bet she makes a great cannoli".

So, the Yankees aren't just a team to me, they are a part of my heritage, they are my family.
They are just one great part of what my grand parents passed on too me.

HOLY COW...we'll miss you Scooter.

No comments: