luca

luca

27 February, 2008

NABISCO

When I was about 4 years old we lived in Franklin Lakes and to get there from Mary Jean's we would have to drive past the Nabisco Factory on route 208. We would always get excited as we approached, waiting patiently with all hands on the window cranks, yes I said cranks, we didn't have electric windows back then. Once it was in sight down went the windows and out went our heads as we let the smell of fresh baked Nilla wafers roll over us we'd take deep breaths and smile. Then we would fall out of the car because we also didn't have car seats back then...just kidding, well sort of.

These days I take the train into the city from the Radburn station in Fair Lawn just off of 208. The lot fills up fast so I usually have a long walk to the car after a long day at work. As I file off of the train tired and weary and wanting to get home I'm hit in the face with a familiar scent of Nilla wafers. I smile, slow down and enjoy the free calories.

3 comments:

for common sense said...

All of our cars and trucks had seats, but seat belts, now they might have been missing... Love ya, Dad

Anonymous said...

fugghettaboutit-you were lucky you were even SITTING in a seat with your Mother driving! no carseats back then and definitely NO seat belts back then !

Anonymous said...

Nabisco made my life happy too! My dad worked for Nabisco for 30 years. We got all the freebies he could fit into the Jeep Cherokee (that had no seat belts). Once dad retired, and I found out what a package of Oreos cost, I nearly passed out. It took me about a year to buy a box. And Chips Ahoy!, a whole 'nother story.

Luv, Erika